One of my favorite meals is this slow cooker honey teriyaki chicken. This healthy dinner is versatile and simple; it is massively flavorful and satisfying. I ate it on top of a bed of rice or quinoa but loved it with a big side of steamed broccoli and baked sweet potatoes too
I can’t say this about many meals, but this slow cooker teriyaki chicken is SERIOUSLY SO GOOD reheated as leftovers. Even better after a day or two because the sauce thickens in the fridge and the chicken seeps it all up– it’s completely drenched with it. Loaded with fresh flavors like garlic and ginger, sweetened with honey and a touch of brown sugar, this is the meal that keeps on giving.
Time is an important fact for cooking. Great timing can make your dish more healthy and tasty. And if you are a new cook or learner, you must be careful with the time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: serves 4-6
The ingredient is the main part of cooking, without which cooking is impossible, or if even any ingredient goes wrong, your full dish will be ruined. So before cooking, choose all ingredients carefully. Your ingredient should be fresh and pure. If your ingredient is not fresh, your dish taste will not the way you want. So be careful with the ingredients.
- One tablespoon (7g) cornstarch
- One tablespoon (15ml) room temperature water
- 3 Tablespoons (50g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (85g) honey
- 1/2 cup (120ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vinegar(either rice wine or apple cider is great)
- Two teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 – 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger(or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- Four boneless skinless chicken breasts(about 1.5 – 2 lbs total)
- optional for serving: sesame seeds and chopped scallion
- Gather everything, all ingredients and appliance you need to cook your dish. And start with preparation. Clean everything, all appliances and ingredients. Then peel and cut the chicken. And wash it with the cleaning water. Remove any waste on the chicken.
- Stir the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until combined, then pour into a medium saucepan over low-medium heat. And then add the brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Allow simmering while whisking occasionally. Bring to a boil and allow boiling for 1 minute and then removes from heat.
- Place chopped onion and chicken into a 4 quart or larger slow cooker. (Here’s one I own and love!) Pour teriyaki sauce on top. Then cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and, using two forks, shred into smaller pieces. Place back into the slow cooker and stir to combine. And then cook for one more hour on low, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and scallion, if desired, and serve on top of cooked rice or quinoa or steamed vegetables. Or pile onto rolls and enjoy the sandwich style. Keep leftovers in a large Tupperware in the refrigerator for up to a week. Reheat in the microwave.
FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS: Place cooled cooked chicken/sauce into a freezer-friendly container or large zipped-top bag and freeze up to 3-4 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or place the container/bag in the sink filled with warm water. Once thawed, cook in a large pot on medium heat for 10 minutes. Or reheat in the microwave until warmed throughout. You can also freeze this uncooked. Place everything in a freezer-friendly container or large zipped-top bag, freeze up to 3-4 months, thaw in the refrigerator, and then add to the slow cooker and proceed with it.
WHY BROWN SUGAR AND HONEY?Depth of flavor. We both preferred the flavor of this teriyaki sauce when both sweeteners were used.
NO SLOW COOKER? NO PROBLEM! Follow the recipe through step 1. Set sauce aside. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. On medium heat, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and chicken and cook, often stirring, until the chicken is browned. Pour the teriyaki sauce on top. Turn the stove down to low heat and allow the chicken to simmer in the sauce for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition (SLOW COOKER HONEY TERIYAKI CHICKEN) for food is the most vital part. Foods without nutrition are useless, and no one wants to have it. We eat food because of nutrition. Nutrition gives us the necessary energy and vitamin for our bodies. So healthy food must have good nutrition facts in it. The nutrition of this dish is given below:
Per serving: Calories304, Fat6.4 g (9.8%), Saturated1.7 g (8.4%), Carbs29.6 g (9.9%), Fiber0.7 g (2.9%), Sugars24.3 g, Protein31.9 g (63.8%), Sodium1314.1 mg (54.8%)
* 2,000 calories is an adult healthy person’s percent Daily Values are on a diet. But it can be may be higher or lower depending on the calorie you need. It also changes with time and age. Everyone doesn’t need the same calories. To know your calorie, see the doctor, and made a list of it.
**Amount of nutrition is based on available nutrient data. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Remember, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption if you are following a medically restrictive diet.
Note: Foods are for our health so that we can be healthy and fit. But if you are sick, or on any special meditation or on a diet and taking doctor’s recommended foods only, please check your list or consult with your doctor before heaving it.