MEATBALL PIZZA RECIPE
This Meatball Pizza is the ultimate family favorite dinner recipe. It’s truly a meat lover’s pizza with all of the flavors of delicious meatballs incorporated into the topping. I am showing you how to make this recipe, and then scroll to the bottom of this post and print out the recipe so you can make it at home.
It is really quick and easy homemade pizza dough, rich marinara sauce; tender, juicy meatballs and mozzarella cheese come together in a homemade meatball pizza that’s better than takeout.
For The Meatballs
- 1 large slice stale white bread, it is crust removed.
- 1/3 cup warm water.
- 4 ounces ground veal or beef, it is very cold.
- 3 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, very cold and its casing removed.
- 1 small garlic clove, minced.
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley.
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten.
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
For The Pizza
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for shaping and brushing.
- 1 small yellow onion, diced.
- 1 ball Semolina Pizza Dough, at room temperature.
- 3/4 cup Simple Pizza Sauce.
- 4 ounces whole-milk, low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded.
MAKE THE MEATBALLS
- Place the bread and warm water in a bowl. Let stand, turning the bread occasionally to thoroughly moisten it, for 10 minutes.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. And then squeeze the bread gently to remove some–actually, most–of the water. Discard the water. After that tear the bread into 1-inch chunks and toss them into a large bowl. And then add the veal or beef, sausage, garlic, parsley, egg white, half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste and mix thoroughly with moistened hands. Form the meat mixture into 10 balls. Place the meatballs on the baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Place a pizza stone on a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 450°F (232°C). Once it is done Let the pizza stone heat for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the meatballs and place the baking sheet directly on the pizza stone. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let the meatballs cool slightly and then cut each one in half.
MAKE THE PIZZA
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, warm the 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion, season lightly with salt, and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a pizza peel or baking sheet turned upside down and place the ball of dough in the center. And then Coat your fingers with olive oil and press the dough from the center outward into a 12-inch round with a slightly raised edge. (If the dough springs back when you try to shape it, cover it with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest for a few minutes, then try again.) Patience is the key here, as the thinner the dough is, the crisper the crust will be. And then cover the finished dough round with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Lightly brush the raised edge of the dough with olive oil. And then spread the tomato sauce over the dough, leaving a 1⁄2-inch border uncovered. Scatter the onion over the sauce. Arrange the halved meatballs on top. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and season to taste with pepper. After that carefully slide the pizza-topped parchment paper from the peel or baking sheet onto the hot pizza stone (or overturned cast-iron skillet). Bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling 9 to 12 minutes.
- Using the pizza peel or baking sheet, remove the pizza from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Let stand for 2 minutes, sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano, and then slice and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories per Serving: 645
- DAILY VALUE:45%Total Fat 29.5g Saturated Fat 11.3g, Trans Fat 0.2g, 21%Cholesterol 61.9mg, 67%Sodium 1614.7mg, 21%Total Carbohydrate 63.5g, 16%Dietary Fiber 3.9g, Sugars 4.3g, 61%Protein 30.6g
What Are The Best Toppings For Pizza?
If you’re a meat lover, you’ll most likely enjoy some sort of meat lover’s pizza like this Meatball Pizza! Pepperoni Pizza is another favorite. And my personal choice for pizza is Ham and Pineapple. Sausage, Bacon, and chicken are also popular pizza toppings.
If you’re vegetarian, you may wish to include a variety of vegetables on your pizza like zucchini, mushroom, tomato, artichoke hearts, and bell peppers. Some people like to add olives, goat cheese, arugula and more. The possibilities are endless!
Where Is The Best Place To Buy Pizza Dough?
Most markets have some sort of pizza dough that they sell. You’ll probably be able to find the kind of pizza dough in the can (not my favorite), and some will offer it in a little plastic baggie (probably a better product and likely more fresh).
I do have a tip for the best place to buy pizza dough. Most pizza restaurants will likely be willing to sell you a ball of their pizza dough. Just ask! That’s going to be your best bet for good pizza dough! You can also make your own. I have a good recipe for Easy Pizza Dough.