CHICKEN FRIED CHICKEN WITH GRAVY
This Chicken Fried Chicken with Gravy is a true family favorite! Crisp fried chicken smothered in spicy, creamy gravy. Dinner never looked or tasted so good! This dish is also perfect for lunch too. It is the most favorite dish for all chicken lovers.
- 4 chicken breasts halved
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more if you like spicy
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
For the gravy
- 1/4cup reserved pan drippings
- 4tablespoons reserved flour mixture
- 2cups chicken broth or stock
- 1/2cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Once you have all your ingredients, your preparations. It includes washing, cutting, cleaning. You need to wash everything after that cut them, cut the chicken into pieces and cleaning them.
- Pound each chicken breast half flat so it is even in thickness, do this carefully, you want it flat but not so thin that it tears (each chicken piece should be about the size of your hand or slightly smaller).
- Place chicken pieces in a gallon-sized Ziploc back and pour buttermilk over. Press as much air as you can out of the bag, seal, and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
- In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs and milk, set aside.
- In a separate shallow dish combine flour, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. After that stir until well combined and then remove about 4 Tbsp of the dry mixture and set aside (this will be used for the gravy later).
- Remove chicken from Ziploc, shake off excess buttermilk, and dredge each piece evenly with four mixtures. Once coated it is with flour, lightly shake off excess, dip in egg/milk mixture from your chicken, and then place in back in flour mixture, giving it a double coating of flour.
- Set chicken aside on a platter or wax paper until ready to fry.
- Add oil to a large skillet until it is about 1/4-inch full. After that, heat oil on medium-high heat until it reaches 350-degrees.
- Add each piece of chicken to the oil without overcrowding (you may have to do this in batches) for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through and crispy and golden on the outside. To catch excess oil, Place cooked chicken on a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet. Place in a warm oven (about 200-degrees) to keep warm until the rest of the chicken is done and you are ready to serve.
For the gravy
- Drain off all but about 1/4 c. of the oil from the pan. Until the flour has absorbed the oil Whisk reserved flour mixture into the oil. And then, slowly whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Whisk constantly and reduce heat to a simmer. Once the gravy starts to thicken, slowly add milk (you may not need all of it) to thin to desired consistency, whisking constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over chicken.
Notes: The 3+ hours it takes to marinate the chicken in buttermilk is not included in the preparation time of this recipe. Please plan accordingly.
When you are heaving something, it is wise to know about the dish properly. Especially it’s good side and bad side. You must know how nutritious this dish is for your health. The nutritious facts of this dish are given below:
Amount of Per Serving:
Calories: 635kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 32g | Cholesterol: 143mg | Sodium: 447mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 755IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 2.5mg
* An adult healthy person’s Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. But it can be may be higher or lower depending on the calorie you need. Everyone doesn’t need some calories. To know your calorie, see the doctor and made a list of it.
If cooking is your comfort zone, I really encourage you to stop just pinning recipes on Pinterest but just try and actually make them! I assure you will love it. Use good and new ingredients and try something new. Never give up on something you love to do.
Tips for the Perfect Chicken Fried Chicken
- This Chicken Fried Chicken recipe isn’t that different from regular fried chicken. The method of breading and frying are the same, but this meal is usually served with country gravy, just like chicken fried steak.
- One thing I love about this recipe is you don’t have to fry it for as long as you would have to fry whole chicken pieces. It only takes a few short minutes on each side to cook these chicken pieces all the way through. Make sure to butterfly (slice in half) large chicken breasts or pound them with a mallet until the breasts are about a half-inch thick and they’ll cook up in no time!
- Marinate or soak your chicken in the buttermilk mixture outlined in the recipe card below for at least three hours, preferably overnight. This ensures your chicken is full of tenderness and flavor.
- This Chicken Fried Chicken tastes delicious with fresh or frozen corn (check out how to cook frozen corn the right way, green beans or peas, as well as a side salad. But you could add a side of asparagus, broccoli, our Oven Roasted Vegetables.
Homemade Country Gravy
Country gravy is really simple to make! No need to buy those powdered packets from the store. Use the drippings and excess breading from your frying pan, that’s where the good stuff is! Scrape all those brown bits off the pan with a little chicken broth and then whisk in flour and bring to a boil. The whole mixture will thicken up and become a creamy, hearty gravy that is to die for!
Chicken Fried Chicken:
This Chicken Fried Chicken with our decadent Country Gravy is one of my favorite comfort meals! The chicken is crisp and juicy, the gravy creamy and spicy. Ah, this meal just makes me feel happy. We serve this dish with a big scoop of our Perfect Mashed Potatoes and whatever vegetable we happen to have on hand. No matter what, this down-home dinner is a family favorite and one of our most requested recipes!