BEEF TACO CASSEROLE
This beef and bean taco casserole are incredibly easy, made from scratch, freezer-friendly, and a huge hit with families! It is a fun twist on taco night, and is a great way to feed a crowd or hungry family! Freezer-friendly, this recipe is also great for meal-prepping or taking to a friend in need!
If you’re looking for an amazing way to jazz up regular taco night, this taco casserole is the recipe for you! A mixture of seasoned ground beef and black beans is mixed with salsa and cheese and then baked until hot and bubbly. Play around with toppings like shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives, jalapeño slices and more! My favorite topping is some crunchy Fritos corn chips… it gives this taco meat casserole a “walking taco” feel, which my kids just love!
Appliance: Microwave Oven
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 pound ground beef.
- 1 medium yellow onion diced.
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced.
- 3 cloves garlic minced.
- 1 package taco seasoning.
- 15 ounce can black beans, it is drained and rinsed.
- 4 ounce can dice green chiles drained.
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper(best pepper mill).
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste.
- A 16-ounce jar of Picante sauce or salsa.
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese divided.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 9×13 or 3-quart baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add ground beef and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon or potato masher, until browned and mostly cooked about 4-5 minutes.
- Add onion and jalapeno to beef. Cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Beef should be fully cooked and brown at this point.
- Drain any fat and return to skillet. And then stir in taco seasoning, black beans, green chills, salt, pepper, tomato paste, and Picante sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Set skillet aside and add 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Transfer beef mixture to a prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Top with desired toppings and serve!
TO FREEZE: Cook beef mixture in a fryer pan and assemble in a baking dish, omitting 1 cup remaining cheese on top. After that cool completely and cover tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, then freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in refrigerator until casserole is completely thawed. Then remove plastic wrap and aluminum foil, set out on the counter for about 20 minutes, top with 1 cup of cheese, then bake at 350 F degrees for about 45-55 minutes, until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
TOPPING OPTIONS: Salsa, Shredded iceberg lettuce, Sliced black olives, Chopped tomatoes, Sliced jalapenos, Minced fresh cilantro, lime wedges, Frito corn chips, Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream, Refried Beans.
Amount of Per Serving: Calories: 386, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 82mg, Sodium: 1461mg, Potassium: 862mg, Carbohydrates: 22g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 31g, Vitamin A: 795%, Vitamin C: 16.2%, Calcium: 317%, Iron: 4.2%
** An adult healthy person’s Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. But it can be may be higher or lower depending on the calorie you need. Everyone doesn’t need some calories. To know your calorie, see the doctor and made a list of it.
Note: Foods are for our health so that we can be healthy and fit. But if you are sick, or on any special meditation or diet and taking doctor’s recommended foods only, please check your list or consult with your doctor before heaving it.
What is Taco Casserole?
It’s everything you love about tacos, but in a super-comforting casserole form, an easy taco bake.
I just love taco casserole recipes with ground beef, so my version uses ground beef, and that 1 pound of meat is stretched further by using black beans as well. Normally I use a package of taco seasoning, but homemade taco seasoning takes this to a new fabulous level!
Is Taco Casserole Healthy?
With a few substitutions, you can easily turn this into a healthy taco casserole! For extra lean ground beef, Swapping regular ground beef, or even ground turkey are ways to make this lighten up this taco casserole. I promise you won’t even be able to tell! Using reduced-fat shredded cheese and reduced-sodium canned ingredients are other great options.
Can You Freeze Taco Casserole?
Yes! This bean and beef taco casserole freeze beautifully, which makes it great for meal prepping, or even making a meal for a sick friend.
To thaw, just set the casserole in your refrigerator overnight, and by dinner time the next day, it should be fully thawed. Full freezing instructions are below the recipe at the end of the post!
With What You Can serve it?
Serve this casserole with tortillas, regular tortilla chips or lime tortilla chips, Cool Ranch Doritos, chili cheese Fritos… the sky is the limit. Just like Layered Doritos Casserole, any kind of chips will add tons of flavor and crunch to this dish!
Taco Casserole Variations:
There are so many different ways to customize this casserole to your tastes.
Protein: Use cooked diced chicken or ground turkey instead of beef.
Cheese: Try pepper jack instead of cheddar for a bit of a spicy kick.
Chips: Instead of regular tortilla chips try a flavored chip such as nacho cheese chips, or you can use a layer of flour or corn tortillas on the bottom.
Beans: Use black or pinto beans instead of refried beans.
Vegetables: You can add extra vegetables to your beef mixtures such as bell peppers or corn.
Toppings: You can top your casserole with sour cream, avocado, more crushed chips, pickled jalapenos, green onions or cilantro.