This BAKED FIRECRACKER CHICKEN is the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner! My recipe for firecracker chicken is easy to make and tastes salty, sweet, and spicy! Serve it over a bed of rice and with lots of firecracker sauce!
It is an incredibly easy Baked Firecracker Chicken recipe on your dinner table in 30 minutes with the most delicious sweet and spicy sauce. Simple, quick, utterly delicious, and perfect for busy nights!
Prep: 5 mints
Cook: 25 mints
Total: 30 mints
- Four chicken breasts boneless and skinless (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- Three cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp hot sauce such as Sriracha
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- One green onion chopped.
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
- PREPARE OVEN: Preheat your oven to 450 F degrees.
- MAKE SAUCE: In a small bowl, whisk all the sauce ingredients together until combined.
- APPLY SAUCE TO CHICKEN: Place chicken in a 9×13-inch baking dish and pour half the sauce over it. Brush the sauce evenly over the entire surface of the chicken. Flip the chicken breasts over and pour the remaining sauce over. Brush or spoon sauce from the pan over the chicken, making sure it’s fully covered.
- BAKE: Transfer the baking dish, uncovered, to the preheated oven and bake for 18 to 25 minutes. The baking time could differ depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. The breast is cooked when it’s completely opaque all the way through and registers 165 to 170 F on an instant-read thermometer.
- WAIT AND SERVE: Remove the chicken from the oven and rest for about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite side dish.
RECIPE NOTES: Chicken thighs or drumsticks can also be used. Bake them until the internal temperature reaches 165 F degrees. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Nutritional information is based on one breast plus sauce. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Amount Of Per Serving: 1breastCalories: 352kcal (18%)Carbohydrates: 8g (3%)Protein: 37g (74%)Fat: 18g (28%)Saturated.Fat: 2g (13%)Cholesterol: 108mg (36%)Sodium: 826mg (36%)Potassium: 676mg (19%)Sugar: 6g (7%)Vitamin A: 310IU (6%)Vitamin C: 7mg (8%)Calcium: 20mg (2%)Iron: 1.2mg (7%)
* Daily Percent Values of an adult person is based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower, depending on the calorie your need. To know your calorie, see the doctor, and made a list of it.
What To Serve With Firecracker Chicken?
When I told you we make this a couple of times a week, I wasn’t lying. I love to serve mine with a cabbage salad for a low carb meal. I shred some napa cabbage (my favorite to use for salads) and season it with olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Super simple and so delicious. Here are some other great suggestions:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Coleslaw Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Potato Salad
- Kale Salad
How Do You Store Leftover Chicken?
Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Tips For Making The Best Baked Chicken Breast:
TEMPERATURE IS KEY: After many trials of cooking chicken breasts at different temperatures, 450 F degrees produces the juiciest chicken breast. So if you’re wondering why 450, this is the reason why. The high temperature sears the chicken and keeps the juices inside, plus it takes a lot less time to cook.
SEASON YOUR CHICKEN: – Don’t be afraid to season your chicken properly and thoroughly. Use more than salt and pepper. Experiment with different spices and herbs. The chicken breast is like a blank canvas. Do your worst!
USE A MEAT THERMOMETER: – In my opinion, this is the best and only way to properly tell if the chicken breasts are cooked through. The breast is cooked when it’s completely opaque all the way through and registers 165 to 170 F on an instant-read thermometer.
REST YOUR BREAST BEFORE SERVING: – This is another important key factor when striving for juicy oven-baked chicken breast. Rest it for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it. This is important because it allows the juices to settle, so when you slice into it, not all the juices run right out. Who wants a dry breast, anyway?
How Long To Cook Chicken Breast?
At 450 F degrees, the chicken breast should be done around the 20-minute mark. However, it can depend on the thickness and size of the breasts. The best way to tell when the chicken is cooked is by using a meat thermometer. The breast is cooked when it’s completely opaque all the way through and registers 165 to 170 F on an instant-read thermometer.
Can You Use Thighs or Drumsticks?
Yes, you can! Chicken drumsticks will take longer to cook, about 35 to 40 minutes at 450 F degrees. Chicken thighs should take about 20 to 25 minutes. However, the best way to tell is to use a meat thermometer, as stated above.
What Ingredients Are In Firecracker Chicken?
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Here’s what you’ll need for this awesome dish:
- CHICKEN BREASTS:– I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. However, you can use chicken with bone-in and skin on, but it may require a few extra minutes in the oven.
- BROWN SUGAR: – I like to use dark brown sugar. Make sure it’s packed.
- SOY SAUCE: – I always use low sodium soy sauce to cut down on the podium.
- OLIVE OIL:
- GINGER: – fresh ginger. Did you know you can store your fresh ginger in the freezer, and when you need some, take it out and grate it?
- GARLIC: – I always use fresh garlic, not the one that comes in a jar. I find the flavor is much better with fresh garlic. To save time, I buy the peeled garlic.
- HOT SAUCE:– my favorite to use is a good organic Sriracha sauce.
- RED PEPPER FLAKES:– if you don’t want this chicken too spicy, use less or omit them completely.
- PEPPER:– freshly ground!